Back in the 1890s two rival Northern League amateur sides were top dogs up in the North East. One of those teams was Newcastle East End FC, a team formed in 1881 by a local cricket club (Stanley FC) and the name East End was created in 1882 to avoid confusion with the Durham town of Stanley.
East End FC were one of the founder members of the Northern League. Newcastle East End FC was the first club from Newcastle to go professional in 1889 which was a huge step in those days!
[important]A great read to see the pitch locations of Stanley / East End FC can be found in an article by Paul Brown – “Before St James’ Park: the origins of Newcastle United” published in February 2011.[/important]
Their closest rivals across the city were Newcastle West End and it was their financial difficulties which set the ball rolling for talks and eventual merger between the two clubs in 1892 to what is now known as Newcastle United FC.
Now NUFC as we all know play in black and white, however it was East Ends red and white kit they used for the first two years of existence, something they would never consider now I am sure! In fact the rivalry with Sunderland is so strong when Puma agreed to sponsor NUFC in 2010 their trademark black Panther was changed to white!)
Roll forward almost 100 years later to 1995, and a father and son decide to re-launch the famous Newcastle East End and build the club up from the grassroots.
Charlie and Kelly Scott set about, with the support of Newcastle City Council, to form Newcastle East End FC – the phoenix had risen from the ashes!
The club started with only one junior team however over the last 23 years they have established themselves as one of the most respected local clubs in the region and have progressed up the Football Association accreditation scheme to become one of only a handful of FA Charter Standard Community Club status in Newcastle.
The club boasts 42 teams with a mix of Mini Soccer boys & girls, Junior boy and girls teams, Male Adult Seniors & Over 40s teams and 4 disability teams. The next phase of development is well underway as they look to develop the next generation of players through our Saturday Morning Fun Club, Mini Tekkers on A Friday and most important the schools links within local Primary Schools which Les Monaghan looks after.
Their venue is one to be admired as they have 8 pitches, all with drainage, changing rooms, clubhouse and lounge to accommodate over 500 members and their parents, family and spectators. The club have reverted back to the original name of the venue also, Swans Recreation Ground, which as the name suggests was the venue for the workers at Swans to relax and play sports.
If you want to find out more about East End you may:
- Email: email@example.com